Kitzmiller's General Store is the first in the series of cutouts. Remember the good old days when you could go to the store and buy a loaf of bread for 10 cents or a hand-dipped ice cream cone for 5 cents? Back in the 1940's ' Kitzmillers ' was the place to stop for all your needs. Built in the late 1860's the store was owned previously by Harry Harnish, D. H. Trovinger, Frank Detrick and lastly by Clyde Kitzmiller. Mr. Kitzmiller went to work there in 1926 and took over ownership in the mid to late 1940's.
Kitzmiller's was a general store where one could buy anything - hardware items, sewing notions, bolt material, molassas, hand-pumped from wooden barrels, fresh meat & poultry, cured bacon & ham and fresh eggs. The main attraction for local children ( and adults ) was the candy counter. Penny candy was displayed in rectungular glass dishes inside a domed glass case. Old-fashioned sharp cheese by the slice or in bulk was kept in a glass cheese case. The case was originally obtained by Mr. Detrick in the 1920's by selling and saving Wrigley's Gum wrappers. ( The case now belongs to Earl Leckron, who bought it when Mr. Kitzmiller had sale in 1971. Restored by Earl, it makes its home now in the present Earl's Market in State Line. PA.) Inside the store, there were loafing benches along the south wall with necessary large brass spittoons at each end. This was the best place to rest while hearing the latest State Line news. The store was heated in the winter by a pot-belly stove and window screens supplied the " air conditioning " in the summer. A warehouse on the north side of the building housed rabbit and chicken feed, garden seeds and tools, seed potatoes and many other items. Red Ball shoes and boots were also sold.
Mr. Kitzmiller sold the store in 1971, It was reopened partially as a candle/gift/silk flower shop. When fire severely damaged the building, it was razed and replaced with a modern restaurant. First to occupy the site was "The Lantern House Restaurant" built by Larry Bowers. Later the property became "Troy's Place". As of the early 2000s, the property is now IlCastillo's Restaurant. A great place to meet and enjoy delicious food. Credits: Harry Tressler