The seventh in the cutout series, the Trinity Reformed Church was the first church to be built in the Middleburg community. It was a Union Church built by the Lutheran and Reformed Faiths in 1834. It was a stone structure built in the eoutheast corner of the present Union Cemetary. The cornerstone is still located at the entrance to the cemetary. At the turn of the century the German Reformed members decided to build a new structure in the northeast corner of the public square. Work began on April 1, 1901 and dedication services were held November 3, 1901. Materials from the Union Church were used in the construction of the new building. The stones from the old Union Church were used in the new foundation.
The first Union Church consistory consisted of the following: Minister - Rev. John Rebaugh; Elders- Philip Stine, Abram Zeigler, and Daniel Miller; Deacons - Henry Miller, Michael Stine, Perry McLaughlin, and Daniel Binkley.
When the new church was built in 1901 the consistory included: Minister - William C. Cremer; Elders - Daniel S. Barnhart, Webster Hartle, Henry Barnhart, and John H. Binkley; Deacons - Charles N. Binkley, Howard Brumbaugh, Jacob B. Shrader, and William E. Binkley.
Trinity Church has served the community and its congregation well for the past century and will continue to do so in the future. Credits: RLH